Sunday, February 8, 2009

Revelation from Cincinnatus Assessing

Saturday morning a few of us from studio awoke at 7 am in order to assess the giddy high-school
seniors that came to campus for the annual Cincinnatus competition. This is my second year assessing even though I do not completely agree the way Cincinnatus is conducted and judged.
With another assessor I judged two sessions, in which the competitors had two work in a group to come to a mutual conclusion. Interestingly both groups had two competitors that dominated and shut down the other competitors; however, the person who shut down the most in both situations
was the person who sat next to the clearly most dominant person in the room. So I have decided that if I am ever in a room where there is clearly one dominant person, I will sit across or at least a few seats away from them. It is a very interesting social experiment, and I recommend if you are invited that you participate. I really learned what I define as a good leader, even though I did not witness a good leader in the room.

2 comments:

  1. That's really interesting. One of the groups I assessed had two apparent leaders and one, the good one, actually engaged the people around her to talk and generate ideas. The other one interrupted everyone who tried suggesting something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Leader" is defined in so many different ways, and I think that each person probably has a different capacity to lead a group in their own unique way. I am still a little bummed I didn't get to observe a bunch of high strung high schoolers vying for limited scholarship money...

    ReplyDelete